Tonga (operated locally)
On September 13, 2001, Lance Cottrell of Anonymizer.com posted
the following to the Cypherpunks mailing list.:
In addition to showing that we will not be cowed into giving
up our cherished freedoms by terrorists, this is a time when the world
needs these services more than ever. In crises there is a tendency for
repressive governments to crack down on communications and free access
to information. It is at exactly those times that the privacy community
must shine its brightest.
Two days later, on September 15, 2001, the Tonga Remailer was opened.
- Tonga Remailer is operated on an AMD K6-333 with 128M of RAM, running
- It is running Mixmaster
- Using postfix with added support
encryption as the Mail Transfer Agent.
- help.txt - Instructions.
key.txt - Tonga Remailer's Mixmaster key.
- Address of the Remailer. In addition to sending messages here,
sending an empty note to this address with any of the following
subjects will give you useful info:
- Subject: remailer-help - Instructions
on how to use the remailer.
Subject: remailer-conf - Current
configuration of the remailer.
Subject: remailer-key - Current Mixmaster key for the
Subject: remailer-stats - Hourly/Daily
statistics of the type/number of messages that pass through
- Send a message here to prevent receipt of any future remailer
- Remailer admin's address. Send general comments, questions, suggestions,
donations, jokes, recipes, and death threats here. A real human
will read them.